Sunday, December 6, 2009

December beginnings




It is December!  We put up our Christmas tree yesterday.  One of my friends from work was moving to Florida and so she gave me her prelit Christmas tree.  It is tall and very pretty.  Plenty of room for all those family ornaments I’ve collected over the years.  I always shed a few tears when I put on the little house that was on my mother’s tree when she was a child.  I get wistful when I put up the ornaments from my childhood, and I treasure those hand made ornaments my children created many years ago.  At the center of my tree are the picture ornaments of my grandchildren.  I used to think, “Someday I am going to have a tree with color coordinated and matching ornaments.”  Now I have come to realize that I cherish my tree where no two ornaments are exactly the same.  

2 comments:

Awesome Mom said...

I agree! I love looking at the ornaments and remembering, they are like a bunch of little memories hanging on a tree.

Kara said...

I LOVE family ornaments. My family has a tradition of collecting different Hallmark ornaments that mean something to us for the year. They've (we have) done this yearly since before I was born and have amassed a huge collection. My husband is a little mad that he had to go out and buy all new shatterproof ornaments because I didn't want to put any of the precious ones on this year (my son is 18 months old AND we have a new kitten).